2.27.2012

documentaries. [favorites of Jan/Feb '12]

Since the new year began I've made it a point to keep track of every new-to-me movie & documentary I watch, as well as each new (I have a bad habit of rereading books constantly, those don't count on the list) book I read.  It's been fun & rewarding looking back at everything I've read & watched in the year the past two months, I can't wait to see the finished lists in December.  With books, my goal is to read at least 52 by the end of the year.  With movies & documentaries, I don't have a set number goal, but I am purposefully trying to watch things I've never seen before.  Again, this is hard as I like to rewatch things -- case in point, over the last several days John & I haven't watched anything new because we decided to have a Lost mega-marathon, but we're halfway through season 4 already so that'll be finished soon and I can move onto new things.

Today I figured I'd blog about some of my favorite documentaries I've watched so far this year.  I'm going to pick just 5 that I would definitely recommend to everyone.

The Pixar Story - this documentary is wonderful because it illustrates the beginnings of the animation company and how it became as beloved as it is today.  It's interesting to see it's ties (& battles, & then friendships) with Disney and how Steve Jobs  kind of resuscitated the company & believed in Pixar & its amazing animators.  Makes you love Steve Jobs even more!  Ha.  I also loved the behind the scenes footage of the making of Toy Story.  Kinda crazy how Toy Story really did change the animation world.  Wonderful documentary to watch if you love Pixar films. And really, let's be honest, who doesn't love AT LEAST one of those movies?

IMDB info found here
official site found here







Best Worst Movie Okay, so this documentary makes you feel all kinds of awkward/second-hand embarrassed - just a warning.  But it is a very compelling documentary about "the worst movie ever made" Troll 2 (I watched this doc before I watched the movie for some reason but immediately watched Troll 2 after ... a movie which does not even have one troll in it... ).  This movie has become a cult classic over the years and you can see why -- the actors are so earnest & genuine, they weren't trying to be really bad or make a horrible movie, but they did.  The director of Troll 2 is this crazy Italian man who thinks he made one of the best movies of all time -- oh man, is that guy a trip.  Just watch this doc!  And catch the movie it is based on too!

IMDB info found here
official site found here



A State of Mind is probably the most interesting and insightful documentary I've watched so far this year.  Definitely my favorite.  It is a British documentary that follows two young North Korean girls as they prepare for their country's Mass Games.  The Mass Games is the world's largest choreographed gymnastics performance and it is amazing.  What is even more incredible is the look at life in North Korea.  The brain washing - children watching cartoons that feature US "imperialists" as the bad guys.  The propaganda - radios are installed in every kitchen that broadcast pro-North Korea, pro-Communism 24/7 and they cannot be turned off. The dedication to their "Great" or "Dear Leader" -- it's just, like the poster says, jaw-dropping.  This documentary made me start researching North Korea like crazy.  Please, if you don't watch any other of my recommendations, watch this one!

IMDB info found here
Official site found here


Freakonomics This documentary features segments from 6 different filmmakers based on the popular book Freakonomics.  John has read the book, & it's sequel, but I have only seen the documentary.  I highly enjoyed it.  Although I wish my least favorite (though still super interesting) segment on corruption in Sumo wrestling were a lot shorter to give length to other segments that I found more interesting - like how baby names shape the future of the child or how much money it takes kids to succeed in school.  Controversial topics are deconstructed from an economic point of view and paired with awesome visuals from gifted filmmakers.  A must-see.

IMDB info found here
Official site found here












Okay... the last documentary, you'll hate me for, but I had to throw it in the mix...


Justin Bieber: Never Say Never guys, I never caught the Bieber Fever before.  But when this gem popped up on Netflix Instant my temperature started to rise a bit!  While I'm not crazy for this Teeny Bopper Heartthrob (which is kiiiiinda unlike me) I do, after watching this documentary, think he's pretty talented and that he'll go far in life.  This has sparked heated debates between John (he's never watched the documentary, nor researched JB in any way) and I.  My argument, in summation, is Justin Bieber is more of a Justin Timberlake than a Nick Carter -- translation -- yes, he plays to his audience and is branded (much like N*Sync-ers & BSB-ers in their time) but it is backed by talent (just watch the doc to see) and a real drive that I think will make him successful.  Whoever woulda thunk Justin Timberlake would have been as crazy successful & grounded as he is today while he was Bye-Bye-Bye-ing in the late 90s?  Mark my words, the Biebs will stay successful, one way or another.  Now if he goes the crazy drug route & is still singing "Baby baby baby oooooh"  in 10 years, I'll owe John a lot of money...

IMDB info found here
Official site found here





WHAT DOCUMENTARIES ARE YOU WATCHING?!

... that's all folks!  I think I'm going to start posting my favorite movies & documentaries & books read each month on this blog.  Next up, I'll pick 5 of my favorite movies watched so far.  January & February will just have to be linked since I didn't do posts for January.

No comments:

Post a Comment