9.08.2008

I can't look at everything hard enough

Our Town was on KET the other night and I got so wrapped up in the old black and white movie. I absolutely love that play for some reason. I like the simiplistic nature of it and the message it brings. Slow down, appreciate life, love the people you love with all your heart right now. Emily's ending words resonate so loudly with me sometimes...

"I can't. I can't go on. It goes so fast. We don't have time to look at one another. I didn't realize. All that was going on in life and we never noticed. Take me back - up the hill - to my grave. But first: Wait! One more look. Good-by, Good-by, world. Good-by, Grover's Corners. Mama and Papa. Good-bye to clocks ticking, and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths. And sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you. Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute? I'm ready to go back. I should have listened to you. That's all human beings are! Just blind people."


This morning I walked a walk that I used to many times. But I missed the time when there were leaves on the ground and you were walking with me in the cool afternoon before everything changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment