11.04.2008

11-04-08

I thought today was going to be a great day.  I woke up so glad to be apart of this day in history, to have witnessed something so big - no matter the results come tomorrow.  But today upset me so much.

Maybe I wouldn't have been this upset, but I found out that a wonderful woman, that I saw in the hallways of school everyday growing up, and is the mother to one of my dear friends from the theater, passed away last night.  I can't even imagine what my friend and his family are going through to lose his mother so young.  So that event already shook me up and made me a little emotional.

Today one of the people I work with asked me who I voted for.  I work in a place where I am the only one that (openly) supports Obama (at least this particular job, I have allies at the other job).  When I replied that I voted for Obama this person said to me, "You voted for a black guy?!"  At first this didn't bother me AS MUCH until they started going on and on about how if he wins what will happen to our "white nation" and a lot of other false claims based solely on race - even the conservative Republicans, if they are educated, could tell you they were false.  I calmly told her that I cast my ballot based on policies and not skin color.  As soon as I tried explaining why I didn't think that whites were going to be the minority and we would have reverse racism due to a black president, other people in the office started jumping on me for my vote to Obama.  Day in and day out, I hear them preach messages of hate, I hear them falsely accuse Obama of policies and beliefs that he hasn't made or supported, I sit back and listen and hold my tongue unless they ask for my opinion - which they don't.  I'm not a fighter.  But today was just too much.  I felt like I was being personally attacked for calmly answering a question.  I never once bad mouthed McCain when I spoke to them and only argued my point by using Obama's policies and not talking bad about the other side.  And still all I hear is a diatribe of hate spilling from their mouths, only supporting their points to vote for McCain by slamming Obama.  Luckily I did have someone looking out for me in that office, someone who doesn't agree with me politically, but could see that I was really upset.  She quieted them down and then not another word was spoken about the election.

When I got in my car to go home I just started to cry.  I just don't understand what is so bad about accepting people of all races and sexual orientations.  Wasn't Jesus' only message love?  What is so bad about helping those who are less fortunate?  Why is it wrong for me to give back in taxes to help someone that has been dealt a bad hand in life, or someone that desperately needs medical care and can't afford it?  Why not love your neighbor?  I'm not even excited about the results tonight - even if Obama does win.  It hurts my heart so much that there are people like that in the world, that think someone is inferior due to the color of their skin or that they like the same sex.  I've never seen people act so unChristian-like than I have today.  Even if Obama wins, I am still so worried for him and his family.  I've witnessed first hand some of the hate that is out there and it is scary.

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you."

I am a lover, I don't think I should be punished for wanting change or giving hope.  I just hope that people like that can let go of the hate in their hearts and come together with everyone as a great nation.  Not a white nation or a Christian nation, just a wonderful place that accepts everyone and allows us all to have the freedoms all human beings deserve.


No comments:

Post a Comment