1.24.2011

try to remember the kind of september, when life was slow and oh so mellow


I’ll marry, when I marry,
In my own particular way;
And my bride shall dress in sunlight
With rain for her wedding veil.
Out in the open,
With no one standing by.
No song except September
Being sung in the busy grass!
No sound except our heartbeats –
Roaring!
Like a flower alive with bees!
Without benefit of neighbor!
Without benefit of book!
Except perhaps her handprint
As she presses her hand in mine!
Except perhaps her imprint
As she gives me her golden hair!
In a field, while kneeling,
Being joined by the joy of life!

There!
In the air!
In the open!
That’s how I plan to wive!
--Matt, The Fantasticks

I was asked to participate in a benefit show for my community theatre group.  I haven't done any plays in over a year but they are doing pieces of past plays and wanted to do a scene from one I was in.  We had a rehearsal this past Saturday and I got to see some of the other pieces that were going to be shown - and see people I've missed dearly from all the past shows I've done (either on stage or off).  Summer of 2007, our theatre did an outdoor performance of The Fantasticks.  It is easily my favorite show our group has performed.  I did lights and sound for this play {I have a horrible singing voice with a super limited range... so when it comes to musicals I'm backstage (except once I had 2 solos and it was the scariest experience ever)}  I'll tell you what, it was such a treat sitting out on the farm by the barn at sunset when this play began and then listening to all the beautiful songs under the stars in the dead of summer.  So beautiful. 

If you ever get a chance to see this performed DO IT!  {And skip the horrible movie version!}  This play has only a few characters, a minimal set, a mime to act as props and set sometimes, beautiful beautiful songs, and it will make you laugh til you cry {and just plain cry}.  It's been one of the longest running off-broadway musicals for years.  It's truly a gem!
{THE FIRST PICTURE IS MATT, LUISA, HUCKLEBEE, & BELLOMY (THE BOY, GIRL, AND THEIR FATHERS), THE TEXT BENEATH IS SOMETHING THAT I LOVE THAT MATT SAYS, THE OTHER PICTURE IS A PLAYBILL FOR THE SHOW WHICH KIND OF SHOWCASES THE SIMPLISTIC SET, THE TITLE OF THIS POST IS THE FIRST LINE FROM A GORGEOUS SONG EL GALLO SINGS,'TRY TO REMEMBER"}

No comments:

Post a Comment