10.25.2011

what I'm reading. {vol. 2}


I figured I'd do another book post.  Unfortunately I haven't been keeping track of EVERYTHING I've read, but I can do a book post of things read within the last month since my accident.  One thing I was crazy looking forward to before the dreaded egg poaching incident, was our library's annual booksale.  My absolute favorite thing about our town is the library -- it's lovely, and if we move away from here I guarantee it's what I'll miss the most.  We go to the library at least once a week.   Fortunately I had just visited the library the day before I became bedridden so I had two books with me.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the booksale, but John went in my stead and got tons of books, some classics, some favorites of ours that we didn't have our own copy of, random neat old editions of things, coffee table books, and just plain random novels.  He did amazing!  We ended up getting 40 books for $15!  Guesstimated total worth of the books, adding up the prices on the jackets or guessing where there was none, was near $800.  AMAZING.

Okay, okay... here are some of those books that I've read in the past few weeks.

  • ... okay, so I reread a lot of things and skimmed through stuff by Philip Pullman His Dark Materials (John had never read the books so we sped through those together ... he loved them!) and The Sally Lockhart Series.
  • My Lobotomy: a memoir by Howard Dully.  Howard had an ice-pick lobotomy when he was 12.  His memoir is an incredible read.  It's strange and fascinating learning about the lobotomy craze that swept the US once upon a time.  Definitely would recommend this one if you like non-fiction.
  • When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman.  I loved this book.  Couldn't put it down at all!  This book is about Elly and her brother and spans about 30 or so years.  Wonderful cast of characters and incredible relationships.  Recommend!
  • The Adults by Alison Espach.  This novel was pretty good, but I could take it or leave it.  It explores Emily's coming of age in an affluent community and her expanding familial relationships.   Maybe I didn't like it so much because I couldn't really relate to Emily and what she was going through.  
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey.  Chances are you've already read this or you know someone that's read it, loved it, and told you to READ IT RIGHT NOW, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.  Basically, you should listen to your friend if you haven't already read it.  I won't get into it much because you know the deal.  It's one of the most recommended books of the year and very well should be.  Every girl can relate to Tina Fey.  (And it'd still be an interesting read for men, too!)  She's amazing and wonderful and speaks the truth with a witty tongue.  Read it.  The only reason it took me this long to read it is because my library JUST got it in. 
  • A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka.  John picked this book up at the sale due to the cover -- and I'll admit, it's a great cover in a wonderful graphic design-y way.  It took me a little longer to trek through this book but it was definitely an interesting read.  It's about two adult sisters and their elderly Ukrainian father (he is writing a book about tractors).  The father is getting a green card marriage to a much younger, scheming, overly make-up-ed Ukrainian woman with a young son.  This was just a book I read when I needed a distraction or was waiting in the car for John (it's hard for me to get around but I like to get out of the house, so I ride along in the car a lot. ha!).  Probably wouldn't recommend this, but if it's around and there's nothing better -- read it.
  • Hook Man Speaks by Matt Clark.  Unfortunately this is Matt Clark's only novel, but oh my, it is a page turner.  It's especially great for this Halloween time of year.  This book follows a man named Leonard who is largely known in the urban legend world of the US as the Hook Man who stalks cars in various Lover's Lane spots around the country.  Leonard is being interviewed throughout this novel by a professor of folklore trying to piece together the legends of Hook Man and various others together to get the truth and see how the story exaggerated & spread.  It's pretty awesome.  Also - a super quick read!  Definite recommend.
  • and I've currently got a few other books I've started, including Hey, Joe by Ben Neihart.  Can't really get into it even though the reviews on the cover make me think I should LOVE it.  But oh well... it's okay so far I suppose - it follows a 16 year old boy in 1990s New Orleans.  We'll see.

HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment