7.13.2012

thankful list.

I've recently found myself with more "computer time" on my hands which means... no excuse to not blog (somewhat) regularly.  Recently I posted my progress on my 52 Books in 2012, and on that list I included The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin as my favorite non-fiction book I've read so far this year.  One thing that book taught me is to regularly list and appreciate the things in your life you are thankful for.  I have to say, for a year now my whole outlook has changed quite a bit -- I've tried to cultivate a "Joy Choosing" attitude and bring positivity into every aspect of my life.  So I keep regular gratitude lists in my head, but maybe I'll start sharing some with you.  Sometimes I get, like, weirdly private online and tend to be kind of vague -- so I'm sorry if some things are vague, I just like to keep my personal life pretty close to my heart & small circle of confidants. 

But here are five things I'm thankful for right now (kind of in the spirit of the old livejournal days with "Friday Fives.").


1.  John.  Are you sick of me gushing about him yet?  Too bad.  Skip this one then.  He has to be number one on this list because he is the ultimate positive force in my life.  It's a joy to have someone like him be my best friend - positive, giving, smart.


2.  Flowers.  Oh how so many have bloomed the past few months.  Flowers in the garden or fresh-cut in a vase, they make me so happy.  John and I have gotten in the habit of almost always having star-gazers in the house... they smell amazing and have bright blooms.


3.  Books.  Okay, we get it, Rhianna, you like to read.  But I can't help it... when I'm not working or visiting people, I'm most likely reading.  Books take up a sizeable chunk of my time.  I'm so thankful for books.  I love that they broaden my mind, teach me, take me on adventures, let me cry, and let me laugh.  I just treasure them so much.


4.  Quiet Mornings.  I am a morning person.  I like to get up early and start my day... but at the same time I hate to talk or interact until I've slowly woken up -- I like to lie in the bed for a while with my eyes open & get used to the idea of the day.  I love starting my day quietly, wrapped in a blanket with a mug of hot tea or coffee, reading the news or watching a mindless tv program on Netflix.


5.  My New Job.  Normally something I wouldn't share online, but I've been super lucky in the job market down here in NC.  I've been fortunate enough to have to agonize over whether to stay at my current job or take a new one that was offered.  I took the new one -- time for a new adventure.  I finished up my first week and I have to say, I'm so glad I took the job.  I'm in the most positive, progressive, and female-empowering environment I've ever worked.  So it's making my thankful list.

No comments:

Post a Comment